Thursday 24 July 2014

Welcome to the world Logan - an official birth story

Things were so hectic in the days before my scheduled C-section on 26 June 2014.

I was writing exams between 18 – 23 June 2014 and the 2 days before I went in there was just so much that I wanted to do.  Including a final blog post and a collage of my bump pics taken throughout my pregnancy, but I just never got to all these things I listed in my mind.

But, I still want to post my bump pics, as it was a great reminder of my pregnancy and the miracle of a little person growing inside of you.


Now, for the long awaited birth story, at exactly 4 weeks after this little dude’s birth J

Thursday, 26 June 2014 we had to book into the hospital at 5 am so that I can be prepped for my C-section.  We got there only to realize that we forgot Logan’s bag with all his clothes at home.  I was in such a flat spin that I forgot one of the most important things.  So after we were booked in and the nurses administered the drip, hubby had to rush home to pick up the bag and was told to be back no later than 7:20.  I was lying alone in the bed and the time felt like forever and I was so worried that hubby won’t make it back in time as the Dr popped in to wish me well and he mentioned that he will see me shortly in theater.

Luckily hubby made it back in time with a few minutes to spare.  We were then rolled off to theater and I was lucky to be the first person on the list.  The Dr came in and administered the spinal block, it was definitely more uncomfortable than the spinal I received with Hayley, but luckily it was over really soon and I was asked to move my feet and already all feeling was gone.  The C-section went so quick. I was still waiting for the Pediatrician to join us in theater when I caught sight of the lights above me and I could see that they've already started cutting, the next moment the Dr asked hubby if the camera is ready and all of a sudden our beautiful baby boy was born and held up in the air.  I remember thinking that he is so small, you forget how tiny they are…

Logan Adriaan de Jager was born on 26 June 2014 at 08:02 weighing 3.345 and 48 cm in length with a head full of black hair.

They then took him away and the Pediatrician came in to check him, he is perfect and healthy!
They then came and put him on my chest, I will never forget how he instantly stopped crying when I started talking to him and he just looked at me.  They really do get to  know you while still in the womb.  Logan was then taken to the nursery with hubby following closely behind.
I was then stitched up and taken to recovery where I was monitored for an hour before being taken to my room.  Logan was then brought in for an hour or so of skin to skin on mommy’s chest.  It was so special and I still remember the little new born noises he kept on making while sleeping.

Later that day Hayley was brought to visit me and her new brother.  I will never forget the look on her face.  I can still not really explain it to anyone but she was in total admiration and shock when she first laid eyes on her little brother. 


My hospital experience was excellent, and although my C-section was really painful, and I can honestly not remember it being so painful the first time, we really had a good birthing experience.  A little bit of me feels a bit sad, knowing that this was the last time, the last first heartbeat, the last time we experienced the excitement of finding out the gender, those first butterfly movements and the first actual kicks, the count down to the little one’s arrival and the first time you hold that little person close to your heart, BUT our little family is now complete.  I feel complete!  I have my little princess, the big sis, and what an awesome big sister she is, and I have my little boy, our prince.

Four weeks later and we have really settled well.  Hayley has adjusted well to live as a big sister.  She is very over protective over him and brags about him a lot.  She has her tantrums but it’s difficult to know if it is related to Logan’s arrival or if it is just typical 3 year old behavior, but for now we are just showering her with love and patience.  I am planning a date with this little girl over the weekend, just her and mommy.

Logan is such a content little boy.  He feeds really well, mostly sleeps and we have almost no trouble putting him back to sleep after some awake time.  He is already giving us 6 hour stretches the last few nights and we barely know that there is a new born in the house.


I've recovered well and I am very happy with the recovery of my incision.  I am so in love with my kids and love being called a mommy of two…

No comments:

Post a Comment